Please visit our Year 2 Cherry ClassDojo Page
Class Story is the easiest way to share classroom moments, photos, and updates with parents. Here you will be able to see the children’s amazing work.
What to expect in Year 2:
Discover the joy of reading with your child.
If you have a child in Year 2, this is a great place to find out about how they are learning to read and what you can do to help at home.
TALK, TALK, TALK!!
Parents can help at home by:
- Hearing your child read at least three times a week and reading stories to them. Talk about characters and setting. Ask lots of questions to ensure they understand the text. Discuss the vocabulary with your child and ask them to spot adjectives, verbs, adverbs and nouns in the text.
- In Year 2 Cherry we are really trying to promote the idea of every child reading ‘a book a week’. Children are expected to read at least 3 times per week with an adult and this must be recorded in your child’s reading record. It would be great if they could read every day. This is monitored on a daily basis by your child’s class teacher/teaching assistant and rewarded using our new bookmark incentive scheme.
English Key Skills
In Year 2 (age 6–7), your child will learn to:
- form lowercase letters of the correct size relative to one another
- start using some of the diagonal and horizontal strokes needed to join
- letters and understand which letters, when adjacent to one another, are best left unjoined
- write capital letters and digits of the correct size, orientation and relationship to one another and to lowercase letters
- understand which letters belong to which handwriting ‘families’ (i.e. letters that are formed in similar ways)
- We use . If you would like any handwriting practising sheets so your child can practise at home please ask and we will print some of for you.
- Discussing what is in the news
- X2, x5 and x10 times tables
- Telling the time
- Names of 2D and 3D shapes. How many sides, corners and face they have.
WANT YOUR CHILDREN TO ROCK AT THEIR TIMES TABLES?
You know how important it is for your children to learn their times tables, but it’s hard work for you and for them. Are you looking for an easy way that just works?
Times Tables Rock Stars is a maths programme that takes all the worry out of learning times tables and has a proven track record of boosting children’s fluency and recall in multiplication and division.
WHAT IS TIMES TABLES ROCK STARS?
In either paper form or online, Times Tables Rock Stars is a carefully sequenced programme of daily times tables practice.
Each week concentrates on a different times table, with a recommended consolidation week for rehearsing the tables that have recently been practiced every third week or so.
This format has very successfully boosted times tables recall speed for hundreds of thousands of pupils over the last 7 years in over 4500 schools – both primary and secondary – worldwide.
Ask you child’s class teacher for details.
The second emphasis for homework is rapid recall of times tables. The rapid recall of number facts is the foundation for virtually every aspect of primary maths. Without a good knowledge of number facts, then progress in these areas is always going to be slow. The teaching and learning of number facts can be greatly enhanced with the support of parents and carers as part of children’s home learning. Even a few minutes spent learning and recalling number facts three times a week will make a huge difference to your child. In order to practise rapid recall of tables, tables could be chanted, learnt as songs or action rhymes. Copy writing tables is another approach which may not appear very exciting, but children do often quite like the practice of doing it. Please also remember to use Times Tables Rockstars (https://ttrockstars.com/). This is a great website which children can log into to practise their times table facts on a daily basis. This website is idea for boosting maths ability, fluency and confidence. Teachers will carry out daily times tables tests to ensure that children are regularly learning their tables and they will also give a short activity for children to complete at home to reinforce the times table which they are learning in class. Year 2 will receive login details for this. From Reception to Year 2 we would recommend getting the White Rose app. This is a free resource and supports the building of firm number foundations:
Maths Key Skills
Below is a number square. There are some many ways you can use a number square to support your child’s learning!!
Counting in 2’s, 3’s, 5’s and 10’s. Look at the number counted, can you see a pattern? What is the same/different about each number?
Roll a dice on the number square, say the number it lands on, is it odd or even? How many tens and ones? What is ten more or less than that number?
In Year 2 Cherry we will be learning our X2, X3, X4, X5 and X10 times tables and we will be having a daily Rockstars multiplication test. It would be really beneficial if your child could download the game below. We will be using this game in school too.
10 Minutes a Day Times Tables by DK is an Apple app (works best on an iPad) and provides a fun way to learn times tables! Made for ages 6 – 8, your child will practice their times tables whilst racing against another:
- During the Autumn term PE will take place on Tuesdays with Beth Tweddle Gymnastics and every Wednesday. Please ensure that your child arrives to school in their PE kit on both days.
- Reading books and records will be sent home daily. Please return reading books and reading records on a daily basis as we try to hear children read every day. Can you please make sure you sign and write how many pages your child has read. The children will also have a RWI booklet to read at home. They will be reading this once a week in class during a guided reading session.
- Homework and spellings are given out every Friday. Spellings are tested the following Friday. Homework is to be handed back in by Thursday.
- Please inform the school office if your child is going to be off for any reason. Please don’t message teachers on Classdojo regarding your child’s absence.
- Please see the Curriculum pages for what we will cover each term.
- The Y2 Maths curriculum for this year for your child is below:
Here are some activities to support your child’s learning:
As part of our continuous aim to support children and development we have listed some websites that might be of benefit to their learning:
Try these websites for learning opportunities and developing Digital Competencies
- Khan Academy | Free Online Courses, Lessons & Practice
- Play Games and More at NASA Kids’ Club! | NASA
- Duolingo – The world’s best way to learn a language